Thank you for your interest in working with the Windsor-Detroit Tunnel Duty Free Shop. Whether it is a career in retail, product management, accounting or any other department, working at the Tunnel Duty Free Shop provides you with the opportunity to contribute, succeed and grow.
Retail Sales Floor and Procurement Manager
We’re looking for an adaptable and driven Retail Sales Floor and Procurement Manager to lead and mentor our front store team and procure merchandise for our categories; passionately supporting our mission to becoming the best duty-free store in the world!
Reporting to the General Manager, you will be responsible for leading and developing our retail team to achieve profitable sales growth through exceptional customer experiences. You’ll supervise, coach and train our retail sales floor associates, manage associate performance, and ensure adequate retail sales floor coverage through effective scheduling management. You’ll develop strategies to maximize sales performance by leveraging visual merchandising and promotional opportunities and facilitating product knowledge and customer experience training.
You’ll also be responsible for working with our team to maximize sales and profit for our tobacco and confectionery categories through revenue and margin objectives, sales development, procurement, and promotional programs. With the support of our team, you’ll manage inventory, forecasting, pricing and contract negotiations and oversee the development and management of departmental policies and procedures for our tobacco and confectionary categories.
You’ll utilize your expert knowledge to purchase goods that meet our high-quality standards at the most favorable price, while simultaneously building and maintaining strategic relationships with key suppliers. You have leadership experience, an in-depth understanding of retail sales, merchandising and marketing; with demonstrated success in supplier negotiations and risk mitigation. You have demonstrated success in motivating and influencing teams, you are focused on continuous improvement and understand the power of building a strong team culture. You have strong time management skills and can prioritize and adapt to changing business needs to ensure the store’s continued success.
❏ Attention to Detail
❏ Continuous Improvement
❏ Complex Problem Solving
❏ Planning and Organizing
❏ Time Management
❏ Results Orientation
❏ Project Management
❏ Strategic Planning
❏ Mediating and Negotiating
❏ Critical Thinking
❏ Stress Tolerance
❏ Ethics and Integrity
❏ Enforcing Laws, Rules and Regulations
❏ Development and Continual Learning
Retail Sales Floor Management:
● Manage the recruitment, orientation and training (including point of sale operations, customer service, merchandising, loss prevention, company policies) for all new retail sales floor employees.
● Supervise, coach and train the retail sales floor team, driving a respectful team culture based on open communication, listening and recognition.
● Demonstrate a customer focused selling culture and build customer loyalty through excellent product knowledge and effective execution of all store operational activities.
● Continually evaluate the performance of each employee and provide in the moment feedback to drive results.
● Plan, create and execute the weekly retail sales floor staff schedule and coordinate revisions and replacements.
● Demonstrate sales leadership by having an active selling presence on the floor and provide retail sales floor and cashier coverage when required (including during evenings, weekends and holidays).
● Oversee and participate in activities across all areas of the store including merchandising and front-end operations.
● Manage and perform currency exchange and administrative functions, as required.
● Ensure all employees are in alignment with our dress code.
● Work in partnership with the team to ensure compliance with customs regulations and all company policies and procedures, including loss prevention and health and safety policies. Implement constructive discipline measures and corrective actions, as appropriate.
● Monitor and react to security events and alarms by utilizing our security monitoring systems to support the safety and security of our assets and our employees, visitors and customers.
● Develop, implement and oversee an inventory control policy to promote an inventory shortage-free environment.
● Maximize productivity and performance during slow customer traffic periods, effectively delegating training, development and task assignments to team members.
● Ensure that all customer needs are addressed, including answering customer inquiries, solving customer complaints and processing customer transactions in a timely manner.
● Contribute ideas and solutions to the leadership team that result in better customer experiences and increased employee engagement, productivity and sales results.
● Plan, organize, direct, control and evaluate the purchasing activities for our tobacco and confectionery business.
● Manage overall continuity of the vendor supply chain and engage active risk mitigation for the tobacco and confectionery departments.
● Prepare, maintain and manage compliance for all documentation, as required by the Canada Border Services Agency.
● Negotiate purchase contracts, supplier selection and contract lifecycle management.
● Establish delivery schedules, monitor progress and contact suppliers to resolve supply chain issues.
● Manage supply chain stakeholders to drive continuous improvement in the cost of goods.
● Propose improvements to procurement processes to support improved operational efficiency and customer service.
Skills and Attributes for Success:
● Customer centric with a solution-oriented approach to solving problems.
● Demonstrated ability to manage, motivate and train retail sales teams.
● Strong oral and written communication skills to communicate effectively with all levels within the organization and with external stakeholders.
● Ability to cooperatively collaborate with others and function as a leader and a team player.
● Demonstrated ability to grasp and translate unclear concepts, think independently and take the initiative required to resolve issues in a team structure.
● Flexible and able to quickly adapt to changing priorities.
● Ability to anticipate obstacles and execute proactive approaches to issues.
● High level of integrity and work ethic.
● A strategic and growth-oriented mindset focused on initiating new ideas to improve our customer and employee experiences.
● 3+ years of related experience in retail sales management, coaching and training.
● 3+ years of related experience in procurement.
● Advanced knowledge of MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint).
● Knowledge of Catapult and ECRS POS Software is an asset.
● Knowledge of FINTRAC and currency exchange functions is an asset.
● Ability to work evenings and weekends in a retail environment.
● Valid police clearance required.
**No phone calls, please**
Important Note: For further consideration, candidates are required to complete the Working with MS Excel spreadsheets and Working with MS Word documents assessments.
Job Type: Full-time
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Evening shift
- Morning shift
- Night shift
- On call
- Weekend availability
- Are you able to work evenings, weekends and holidays in a retail environment?
- Do you have strong oral and written communication skills?
- retail sales management: 3 years (required)
- coaching and training: 3 years (required)